Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Mothers of Invention

'Tis the Season to be Jelly
Foo Eee Records



I used to own a few of these Beat The Boots/Rhino Foo-Eee series of Zappa bootlegs, but parted with them because the sound was either putrid or simply not as entertaining as their studio album or legitimate live releases. I did hang on to this one as it's rather good and is also a spotlight on my favorite configuration of The Mothers.
And this is a good example of what rock critics used to write about the Mothers; the wacky amalgam of Classical, jazz and 50's hit parade crap. Also, it seems Zappa boots are all the rage, and I don't see this one around yet. Here's a much better review of it (from The Daily Vault) than I can muster:
But what sets this album - and, for that matter, The Mothers --apart from everything else is the mixture of music that they play onstage. From the shuffle-waltz tempo of "You Didn't Try To Call Me," Zappa leads the band into a portion of Stravinsky's"Petroushka," and instantly transforms a classical work into a catchy pop number. (Hardcore classical music fans would call this sacrilege; I call it introducing a form of music to a newaudience.) If this weren't enough, the band segues from "Petroushka" to "Bristol Stomp," then into "Baby Love"...finally into "Big Leg Emma," all without skipping a measure or leaving a noticeable seam. This, my friends, is Talent.

The highlight of Tis The Season To Be Jelly is an early performance of The Mothers' jazz-rock masterpiece "King Kong," including a brief description of the song from Zappa. Admittedly, "King Kong" is the type of song you must show some patience to get through, but in the end, it's well worth it, and may even open up some people's minds and ears to the world of jazz.

Although, I disagree with his assessment of King Kong. I could listen to a whole album of versions of that song.

Track List:
  1. You Didn't Try to Call Me
  2. Petroushka
  3. Baby Love
  4. Big Leg Emma
  5. No Matter What You Do (Tchaikovsky's 6th)
  6. Blue Suede Shoes
  7. Hound Dog
  8. Gee
  9. King Kong
  10. It Can't Happen Here
Get it here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi from marcus
i'm one of those"my winzip it works,but butthole surfers i can't zip..." guys.
now, after reading:"An anonymous visitor reports the following:

"I clicked "repair archive" function on WinRar and it worked for me, I was able to extract the files from the repaired .zip, yes as you might have guessed, on a pc..."
Hope that advice turns out to be handy for some of you..."
I CAN ZIP BUTTHOLE SURFERSSSS!!!
Yes, life can goes on.
bye ,thanx for the blog.
that's a link for an album(vynil rip) of an italian wave-jazz band(from 1980) : Confusional Quartet(the band)-"Confusional Qaurtet"(the title)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2B320SNY
enjoy kidz!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Chardman said...

I think that seems to be the solution!
And thanks for the Confusional Quartet!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home