Wednesday, August 30, 2006

King Crimson

Live in Warsaw (2000)
DGM Club



A really nice sounding set from the post-double trio Crimson, around the time of ConstrucKtion of Light album. It's a great demonstration of the concept that Fripp has long stated; that King Crimson sounds much better and is more engaged performing live in a way that cannot be replicated in the studio. Everyone is in top form and every track buzzes with electricity. Most of the selections center on the aformentioned album and the previous ThraK. Adrian Belew plays a solo acoustic version of Three Of A Perfect Pair and the album closes with a cover of Bowie's Heroes (which Fripp played on two decades prior to this).

Lineup:
Adrian Belew - guitar & vocals
Robert Fripp - guitar
Trey Gunn - touch guitar, ashbory bass, talker
Pat Mastelotto - electronic drumming

Live in Warsaw disc 1
Live in Warsaw disc 2

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post-I agree that Crimson in this era sounds so much more powerful when comping on stage and throwing down the improv-I always sort of hated how belew seemed to try to push the songs back into mainstream forms though

5:03 AM  
Blogger Chardman said...

I used to pass on live albums as they were either just sloppier takes of studio albums or sterile recreations of studio work wih an audience, but Fripp's assertions about Crim live seem to be true. Now I shall plow through their live works.
Thanks for commenting!

8:58 AM  
Blogger broadwaythehardway1988 said...

Nice one.
Over @ jrfg.blogspot.com you will find KCCC09+10+27. And more to come.
What bitrate do you usually post in here?

Cheers, and welcome in...

11:19 AM  
Blogger Chardman said...

I usually post stuff at 192, unless I find that there is a lot of a particular album out there, which I rip it at a higher rate (either 320 or best VBR i can muster).
mainly It's due to bandwidth when uploading. I've had big Zips take over an hour to upload, and don't time is at a premium for me. Also, I can use the excuse that posting low-bitrate (yeah, we think of 192 as low now) will compell folks to go out and buy the actual artifact. Whew! Now I know why my friends say I turn everything into a bloody manifesto!
I look forward to checking out your blog and thanks for stopping by!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Raw & Real Retail said...

Great post. I am also a contributer over at jrfg.blogspot.com. I just wanted to let you know that rapidshare has increased their maximum upload limit to 300 MB, so posting albums in 2 or more parts is not necessary anymore. :-)

3:10 PM  
Blogger broadwaythehardway1988 said...

Thanks for your prompt reply. I do see your point when it comes to bitrate---> leading to buying and supporting the artist(s).
However, when it comes to the Collector Club items, some are out of print.....and If they ever will be reissued, beats me. (I belive KCCC16 have been on backorder for years). Anyways, all my KCCC's (I have them all) are @ 320, and I will post more of them in the near future. Luckily enough I have a rapidshare premium account, and a very fast fiber connection @ home, allowing me to upload @ 700k/s :-)

Thanks for a nice blog!
As for your requests on top of the page, I am sorry I can't help you with those!

Cheers,

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home