Saturday, July 29, 2006

Hashisheen

The End of Law
Sub Rosa



Fascinating blend of spoken word and Camp Laswell musicians assembled together around esoteric readings about Tenth-Century Shi'ite mystic Hassan I Sabbah.
Some of the artists involved:
Bill Laswell
Iggy Pop
Hakim Bey
William Burroughs
Patti Smith
Genesis P. Orridge
Jah Wobble
Anton Fier
Susan Deyhim
Nicky Skopelitis
Nicole Blackman
Percy Howard
Helios Creed
and more...

Don't listen to this expecting to get a clearer understanding of The Old Man of the Mountain, I think that's the point. Rather it's more of a meditation on the illusory nature of the reality around him and his disciples - then and now and some varying historical accounts of Sabbah and Mount Alamut. The music is lovely and exotic, the readings are always engaging, and the choice of text and performers reading it are appropriate and inspired. The spirits of Gysin and Burroughs are definitely in attendance here.

Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted

5 Comments:

Blogger Chardman said...

Aye, That I have...
But it's kind of fun.
I am limiting myself to stuff I pull off my shelf or buy from the Russian grey-market so that I don't unintentionally post something that I downloaded form someone else. Unless it's out of circulation. I just wish I had time to rip vinyl.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another excellent upload, Rich.

I usually listen to Hashisheen back to back with Outer Perimeter by Presage (Mr. Dibbs, DJ Jel, and MC Dose).

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there...Thanks for sharing this!
Cheers!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Chardman said...

Glad you guys like it.
I myself haven't listened to it for a while, so it's nice to hear it again.

I might post TAZ, the Hakim Bey album that is rather similar to this one, but I think someone else recently posted it. Perhaps it was Greypod. If so, I'll see if I can link to that post. If not, I'll rip mine and put it up.

I also a lot of Burroughs material, so don't be surprised if he pops up from time to time.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Azbest said...

Nice blog, but link for Hashisheen is dead. Could you uploud it once more? Thanks.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home