Sunday, September 17, 2006

Robert Fripp

Exposure
DGM



Robert Fripp emerged from his music biz exile (where he taught guitar to lucky students for a few years) to play on a few Bowie albums ( with Eno) and to produce one for Peter Gabriel. Somewhere along the way, he ended up in New York and recorded a fantastic solo debut. However, it became his problem child, as his vocalist Daryll Hall's record label didn't think it was an appropriate product to link their employee's image with. Subsequently it was released with fewer vocals by Hall and more with Peter Hammill and Terre Roche and a different mix of guest Peter Gabriel's Here Comes the Flood. Unhappy with the results, Fripp and others allegedly lent out tapes of the original version, probably spawning bootlegs versions.

This is an album I've wanted to own for years, but has eluded me at every turn. When I finally found it on CD, it's mix -and , hell even versions - varied from what I'd heard on the radio, back in the eighties. Honestly - and not to get into some kind of movie director's cut-type debate - I like both versions. Although this album makes me really admire Daryll Hall a lot more, I don't know of any song that smokes as much as Hammill's version of Disengage. When listening to Exposure, I pick some from column A and some from Column B, because even if they didn't suit Mr. Fripp at the time, the compromise album is great as well. It's Fripp at his poppiest, most experimental and - dare we say - punkiest. He's never done another album quite like this.

I'm always a little hesitant to post something new and obviously in print, but feel that everyone who's into Fripp ought to check this out, and has probably -and will continue to - go out and buy it for themselves. Plus the liner notes (with Fripp diary entries) are swell, to boot.

24-bit Remastered version - 2006, ripped @ 320kbps

Exposure (First Edition)
Exposure (Third Edition + bonus tracks)

Links removed per request.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow: nice gift! thks a lot!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Chardman said...

No sweat.
It's old and been reissued a couple of times, so it circumvents my "two years old and/or out-of-print" rule.
Everyone will go out and buy it for the pictures, liner notes and good karma, right?

7:55 AM  
Blogger Sid Smith said...

hi there,
I'm the webmaster for
DGMLive
and represent Robert Fripp's publishing interests.

As you comment yourself, this edition of Exposure is new and very much in-print.

As per the statement at the head of your page, the copyright holder of this music (DGM/Crimson music ie Robert Fripp) is politely requesting you remove the infringing links to this and his other album elsewhere on this site.

Thanks very much for your help and co-operation.

Btw I was a regular reader of your old Reagan blog. I always found it interesting and it sent me off in search of some music I don't think I would've come across.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Chardman said...

Mr. Smith,
Mr. Fripp's links have been deleted and files purged as per request. Thank you for your understanding.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home