Saturday, September 16, 2006

UGLY ATONAL EIGHTIES SERIES #2: Killdozer

Intellectuals are the Shoeshine Boys of the Ruling Elite / Snakeboy EP
Touch and Go



Arriving around the same time as the Buttholes, but from Madison Wisconsin, was Killdozer. Killdozer's sound was driven by repetitive beats, a plodding, pounding bass, a fuzzy, wall of sound guitar and frontman Michael Gerald's guttural, hilariously unlistenable vocals. Most of their songs were in a first-person, demented point of view (usually that of a menacing, brainless redneck). Cover songs - amusingly mutilated - figured predominately in their early outings and became more of a feature (even dedicating one album - Burl- to folk musician Burl Ives) until the band split up in 1990 (there were reunion gigs, natch). Many of their songs dealt with cannibalism, murder and going to the beach. I remember playing the last mentioned song when I lived with my parents and my mom kept thinking something horrible was going to happen in it because of the ominous nature of the music, but they lyrics were just about going to the beach:
"We're goin to the beach today, just me and mom and dad..."
Intellectuals are the Shoeshine Boys of the Ruling Elite
(re-upped 12/16/06)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You made me a happy man with this posting Chardman!! I love this band; My favorite until now was "Uncompromising war on art under the dictatorship of the proletariat", which is a great title for a record.

Don't know this one, I'm going to listen straight away!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Chardman said...

I really like this too, even though it's a lot of Killdozer to listen to in one go. I like their later stuff too.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home