Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Crass

Feeding of the 5000
Crass Records



Taking a break from all the Laswell/Axiom stuff for a guilty pleasure blast from the past.
The debut long player from Britain's Anarcho-collective Crass is an amazing record. As unmusical as some if it sounds even today, I can't help finding a huge soft spot in my heart for this record. I love the pinch-nosed Dalek vocals of Steve Ignorant, the chucka-chucka duck-quack rhythm guitar and the tin toy percussion. I also like how the black and white politics match the black and white foldout poster/lyric sheet/booklet. Gee Vaucher's artwork was a huge influence on me, even if I didn't realise it for another decade. I remember ordering this album from Rough Trade and eagerly awaiting getting it and hearing the band that I had read so much about but never heard. There's a part of me that still wants to believe in their politics. This is one of the few punk albums that I refuse to give to my teenage son, along with other Crass albums and assorted other goodies. I must confess to this not being a rip of my own vinyl, as it's very well worn.
Thank the God(des)s (and my ChronoPay account) for the Russian greymarket.

Do They Owe Us a Living?

4 Comments:

Blogger Dorker Vibes said...

hi there,

just discovered the veritable treasure chest that is your blog! thought i'd stop by to say hello.
mind if i link you up, maybe you could return the favour? love crass and early material btw, keep up the great work, much appreciated!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Chardman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Chardman said...

Hi all!
Thanks for comments.
I will definitely link like minded comrades!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Ego Kornus said...

to good the crass
in my squating time a first thing to have in you record collection
long time no hear but now the chance again
and i take it with my 2 hands!!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home